Friday, December 9, 2011

Texas A&M kicker Randy Bullock emerges as emotional winner of Groza Award in season he dedicated to his late father


Courtesy of Fort Worth Star Telegram

Texas A&M kicker Randy Bullock’s senior season ended with his emotional acceptance of the Lou Groza Award during tonight’s College Football Awards Show on ESPN.

In August, Bullock dedicated this season to the memory of his late father, Richard, who died in 2003 of a heart attack. Randy Bullock was a freshman in high school at the time.
Bullock said he selected this season to dedicate to his father, who taught him how to kick a football, because he knew it could be his last to play organized football. Then, he went out and led the nation in field goals (25), conncecting on 86.2 percent of his attempts (25-of-29). Heading into tonight’s ceremony, Bullock said being a Groza recipient “would mean the world to me and to my family because that was my motivation be successful.”
When his name was called as the winner, Bullock closed his eyes briefly and his voice cracked when he elaborated about what it meant to be honored as college football’s top kicker in the season he dedicated to his father’s memory.
“It was very special,” Bullock said. “It means that much to me and to my family. We were in this together. I definitely felt his presence throughout out the whole season, especially tonight once my name was called.”
Bullock said his dad was not a kicker but “went with me to the field all the time and kept me working.”
Now, Randy Bullock has been recognized as college football’s top kicker. And he honored his late father in the process.
“That means so much to me, I can’t really put it into words,” Bullock said. “He was with me every step of the way and I know he’s smiling down on me now.”

_ Jimmy Burch

No comments:

Post a Comment